Monday, May 10, 2010

RIP Frank Frazetta


At age 92, Frank Frazetta, one of the greatest artists in history, passed away today. As an artist, I've had 2 big influences; comic books, and Disney movies. Frazetta's style helped to shape an entire genre of fantasy art, which my influences were influenced by. I studied Frazetta's work in college, and throughout my growth as an artist, I've learned from his attention to detail and anatomy.

To other "big girls", he was a hero. Frazetta's art showcased the human form and all of it's "flaws", and made them glamerous. Big-butted chicks with flabby thighs and tummies were the princesses. We were the maidens, the heroines, and the goddesses. He loved women as they are, not as we have made them with plastic surgery. He loved muscles, flab, boobs, butts, legs, feet, EVERYTHING. He never failed to make me remember that as an artist, I should draw from life.

Thank you, Frank Frazetta. Your work shaped my life, and my love for art. I'll never remember seeing your paintings for the first time, and thinking to myself, "This is what I want." I can only hope to continue to grow as an artist, and someday make pieces as beautiful as his. Tonight, I'm going to buy some bristol, sit down to some cartoons, and get back to my roots.

Once again, thank you Frank Frazetta. You are an inspiration to us all.

No comments: