Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Day 1

Okay, so, it's day 1 of my fast. It felt nice to just be able to run out of the apartment without preparing breakfast like I usually do, but man do I miss it. I am starving right now. I have a cup of coffee (with a packet of fiber enriched Splenda) and my bottle of water. I'll be drinking herbal tea (no sweetener) throughout the day, to keep my mouth busy. The coffee is helping a little, my stomach isn't growling or hurting anymore.

Last night we celebrated Mardi Gras by going to IHOP. There were free pancakes, so I got this meal with hash browns, bacon, eggs, and stuffed Trench toast. Plus the pancakes. The French toast was really kinda "meh" but, that's what experience is good for. Learning in the future that the picture on the menu really -is- decieving. The pancakes were good, though. I knew going in that I was going to enjoy that meal so, damn it, I did. It felt almost like my last meal. I was a little depressed with the idea of not having meat or alcohol for the next 40 days, but then I remembered, hey, it's okay. I like a lot of vegeterian things. And I can still eat fish! The problem will lie with making Willy dinner, at the same time that I make my own. I'll have to get myself some fish and cook his meat seperately.

Thats cool, though. I really like fish. It kind of angers me that he doesn't, because it really hinders my cooking. I can't add fish to anything! But to keep up my protein, I'll just have to buckle down and cook seperate meat courses for the two of us. At least this will give me an excuse to buy some salmon. I haven't had salmon since I moved from my parents' house. I used to complain about it all the time, but damn do I miss it now. It's such a delicious fish. Tonight I'm thinking that I'll cook up some of our frozen vegetables, and cook a side of beef for Willy seperately. I don't -think- I have any protein enriched non-meaty things at home, so I'll wait until the weekend to go buy some. Beans, lentils, that sort of thing.

I do have some avocados, so those will take care of the fat I need. And yes people, a little fat IS needed in any diet. Avocados are so good for you in that they provide both healthy fat, vitamins, and have virtually no sugars like your average fruits. The fat in avocados also helps you to continue feeling full. :) So stock up on these wonderful fruits, they really are good for you.

Anyhow, that was yesterday. I look forward to talking about how this, day 1, went. But for now I have to actully live through it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So far so good here. I'm even doing the fasting thing for as long as YOU hold out. :) I woke up predawn and was able to grab an apple to start my day. Although having been up since 4am is taking it's toll on me. I've got water at my desk and tea I can make if need be. Apples await me once night falls. (Can you believe 6 months ago, I hated raw apples? Now they're my go-to snack.)

No chips, no alcohol, no soda. One day half down, 39.5 to go.