Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Atkins Diet

So as you may or may not know, I'm a big supporter of the Atkins Diet. It's been nearly five years now, since I lost 50lbs on the plan. I'm 5'1", and at the time I was 180lbs. I was asked to do this by my boyfriend at the time, who actually made me feel really crappy about myself. Dieting was easy when I had someone urging me to do it, which brings up my first point about dieting.

1) Never diet for someone else. Do it for yourself.

I can't tell you how hard it is to stick to a healthy lifestyle when you're living for someone else's ideals. I broke up with that boyfriend almost four years ago now, and I've never been happier. My new boyfriend (well, not new now.. ha!) is a sweet and caring person who loves me just the way I am. It's for this reason I've gained 10lbs. Which brings me to my second point...

2) Don't let other people's opinions change your own.

If you feel fat, do something about it. If you don't, you'll feel like crap every day. Guilt will accompany your evenings out, and it will nag you in your sleep. I personally hate feeling guilty and fat. I'm at least 15lbs overweight, that is, I'm 10lbs over the "normal healthy weight" in the BMI scale. When I was 130lbs, I still felt fat. So I'm doing something about it right now. Of course, there is my 3rd point...

3) Be a "healthy" weight.

That is, if you're 5'6" and 120lbs, odds are you're already at a healthy weight. Feeling flabby? Work out. Dieting will not help you to do anything but become unneccisarilly thin. Don't do it. I implore you.

At the moment, I'm on the Atkins "fat fast", which helps metabolically resistant people. I hit a stall and was unable to start losing again, and I'm hoping this will kickstart my diet. I've been on it for just a day and a half now, and you're not meant to do it for more than five. It is DANGEROUS to do it for more than five. So I urge anyone who would like to try it to do lots of research beforehand. Check out Jimmy Moore's Livin' La Vida Low Carb blog for info on the Fat Fast, his link is to the right. Fit Day, another link I have listed, can help you (for free!) to count calories and carbs.

Hope this helps!

No comments: